When to See a Doctor

While some IHs may completely shrink on their own, a pediatrician or pediatric dermatologist should diagnose and treat a hemangioma. The first few weeks to months of life are a very important time in the growth stage of a hemangioma. Infants with hemangiomas need close observation during this time. Some will require special care and should be seen as early as possible by an appropriate specialist to treat their specific health problem. An IH in the middle of the back may be a sign of a hidden malformation of the spinal cord underneath the skin. If your child has any questionable or worrisome lesions, they should be seen by a doctor.

You should also see a doctor for mild symptoms, such as noisy or high-pitched breathing. This may help avoid possible complications in the future.

If a child has a hemangioma around the eye, especially on the upper eyelid, they should be seen by an ophthalmologist or a pediatric ophthalmologist (eye doctor).

Infants with fast-growing hemangiomas on the head and neck that affect breathing or hearing should be referred to a doctor for evaluation and treatment.



Antaya RJ. Infantile hemangioma. 2007;1-20.

Chang LC, Haggstrom AN, Drolet BA, et al. Growth characteristics of infantile hemangiomas: implications for management. Pediatrics. 2008;122(2);360-367.

Dubois J, Milot J, Jaeger BI, et al. Orbit and eyelid hemangiomas: is there a relationship between location and ocular problems? J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006;55:614-619.423.

Vascular Malformations. Arkansas Children’s Hospital Web site. Accessed January 21, 2013. Visit website »

Click on NEXT to learn about the diagnosis and treatment of IH, and to continue on your child’s journey to better health.

Related Links

  • Email this page
  • Print this page